Obtaining a Driver's License in Kentucky if you are a Non-Citizen

licencia1.jpg Non-US Citizens must have legal immigration status to get a Kentucky Driver's license. All applicants must provide proof of residency in Kentucky. Examples of proof:
  • Deed
  • Property Tax Bill
  • Utility Agreement
  • Utility Bill
  • Housing Agreement

In addition to the residency requirement, the next steps differ as to Permanent Residents, Non-Permanent Residents, and those on work-related visas:

Permanent Residents:
  • Go to the office of the clerk for the circuit court of the county where you live
  • Take your Resident Alien Card OR your passport with an immigration Stamp "processed for I-551. Temporary evidence for permanent residence. Valid until "
  • Fill in the application
  • You must have your social security number and proof that you reside in Kentucky (such as a lease, utility bill, housing agreement, etc)

Non-Permanent Residents:
  • Go to the transportation cabinet or a transportation cabinet field office.
  • You must show proof that you have been legally admitted to the US.
  • K-1 visa holder must show marriage certificate and your form I-130.
  • You may have to wait up to 30 days.
  • If approved, you take the approval form to the clerk of the circuit court in the county where you live.
  • Non-US citizens without permanent residency or special status who are residents of Kentucky may get a Kentucky driver's license for a period of time equal to the length noted in immigration documentation, or four years, whichever is shorter.

If on Work-Related Visa:
  • Must show proof of employment within last 30 days (payroll check, verification on company letterhead, etc)
  • Must provide either social security card, tax ID number, or ineligibility letter from the Social Security Administration.

More Information
[Ver esta página en Español]